Select Page

Public warned not to consume poisonous oysters and mussels from Walvis Bay

Public warned not to consume poisonous oysters and mussels from Walvis Bay

The Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources warned the public against the consumption of oysters and mussels originating from the Walvis Bay Aquaculture Production Area 1, after they tested positive for bio-toxins during the recent sampling and testing by the Namibia Standards Institution.

According to a statement released by the ministry, the latest test results from the oyster and mussel samples indicate the presence of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning (DPS) at a level higher than the permissible level.

Therefore it is unsafe to consume oysters and mussels until further notice by the ministry. Members of the public should note that marine bio-toxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing,” acting Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Ueritjiua Kauaria said.

DPS is one of the four recognized types of shellfish poisoning and as the name suggests, this syndrome manifests itself as intense diarrhoea and severe abdominal pains. Nausea and vomiting may occur sometimes and symptoms usually set in within an hour of ingesting infected shellfish and last for about one day.

In the event that consumption of these infected shellfish takes place, the public is advised to seek immediate medical assistance.


About The Author