Select Page

Recycling volumes grow five fold

Martin Kasita (Community Liaison Officer), Hilma Constantin (Chief Environmental Officer), Loide Shiimi (Cleansing Officer), Joppie Gerber (Rent-A-Drum Technical Supervisor), Gys Louw (Owner Rent-A-Drum), Martin Elago (Chief Executive Officer) and Mika Kiikkinen (Molok Concrete Manager).

Martin Kasita (Community Liaison Officer), Hilma Constantin (Chief Environmental Officer), Loide Shiimi (Cleansing Officer), Joppie Gerber (Rent-A-Drum Technical Supervisor), Gys Louw (Owner Rent-A-Drum), Martin Elago (Chief Executive Officer) and Mika Kiikkinen (Molok Concrete Manager).

Walvis Bay starts in November

During 2010, Rent-A-Drum erected and commissioned a state-of-the-art Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), the first and only one of its kind in Namibia, as well as a six-metre weighbridge, which records the volume of recyclable waste received from the recovery facility.
The Clear Bag Recycling campaign by Rent-A-Drum and its recycling partners was implemented on 30 August 2010. This recycling initiative started off with only 28 tons that Rent-A-Drum yielded in the first month. Two years later, by September 2012, this volume had grown to 113 tonnes from Windhoek households.
In the course of the Finnish-Namibian municipal partnership programme from 2007 to 2011, research on waste management systems in Namibia was done.  Rent-A-Drum was identified as a potential waste management partner for the Finnish waste industry company, Molok, to invest in Namibia and to introduce one of the best waste management systems in Africa.
A partnership was duly formed with Rent-A-Drum providing their extensive expertise on local waste management and their experience of public private partnerships.
Rohan Louw (Business Developer) and Abraham Reinhardt (Operations Manager) from Rent-A-Drum attended a study tour and a planning workshop in Finland to familiarise themselves with the usability, technology, manufacturing and environmental opportunities of Molok Deep Collecting Systems.
In December 2011 the first Molok Deep Collecting Systems was installed as a pilot project at Onandjokwe Hospital and surrounding areas near Ondangwa in the North. During September 2012 Rent-A-Drum installed their first eleven Classic Molok Deep Collection containers for the Ondangwa Town Council with Mika Kiikkinen (Concrete Manager) from Molok, providing assistance with the first installations. The handover of the Molok containers to the Town Council took place on 28 September in Ondangwa. The next project is in Walvis Bay where another 19  Domino Molok Deep Collection concrete wells will be installed for the municipality next month.
The Molok Deep Collection system is an innovative waste management system that offers a clean, effective and efficient collection point for a variety of waste types and situations. More compact and hygienic than conventional methods and virtually odour free, the Molok Deep Collection System offers unrivalled advantages, particularly where space is limited.
The key to the superior performance of the Molok Deep Collection System is the vertical, underground design. Only 40% of the container is visible, while the remaining 60% is underground. This design means more storage capacity within less space, more compaction, fewer collections, fewer odours, and less litter.
The official launching of the Molok Deep Collection System will take place at the premises of Rent-A-Drum in Windhoek on 8 November 2012. The Hon. Minister Alexander Stubb of European Affairs and Foreign Trade of Finland and the Minister of Environment and Tourism Hon. Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah are expected to officiate at the launch.

About The Author

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!